Where is Your Life Going – Week 3
Perseverance: Overcoming the obstacles you will face pursuing your Life Mission
- You have to wear a t-shirt with one word on it for one year. Which word do you choose?
- What was new, stood out to you, or challenged you in relation to this weeks message?
- Discuss the difference between endurance and perseverance.
Read aloud James 1:2-4
- Why/how do trials produce perseverance?
- Why don’t rainbows and butterflies produce perseverance?
- What were the three big obstacles Pastor Harvey preached about?
- Which one challenged you most?
Read aloud 1 Corinthians 9:24-25
- What do we gain when we focus on the purpose God has for our lives?
Read aloud Mark 8: 15:
- What is required to “bear fruit”?
The path to winning in the faith, in life, in anything, is paved by persistently developing and adopting small, repeatable habits that enable life change. (Mark 8:15)
- Where in your life is God calling you to develop small, repeatable habits?
Read aloud 2 Peter 2:1-3, 19
- What does the author mean by, “ For you are a slave to whatever controls you.”
Where to Start – Good Habits overcome lots of life’s obstacles Samuel Smiles, a Scottish author argued that more progress would come from new attitudes than from new laws.1 “Sow a thought, and you reap an act; Sow an act, and you reap a habit; Sow a habit, and you reap a character; Sow a character, and you reap a destiny.”
Simple Habits – Where to begin developing, adopting and persistently sticking to small life changing habits:
- Prayer – Pray the Lord’s prayer as it was intended to be prayed.
- Forgiveness – Begin by praying to release people to God.
- Physical life – Go to bed earlier; stop wasting your best hours of rejuvenation on meaningless things.
- Financial Life – Learn and apply the 10-10-80 rule of finances.
- What will you commit to doing this week to make simple habits?
- How can your group hold you accountable?