7 Rules for Life – Week 6
- You notice a friend doing something self-destructive, but without any self-awareness. Do you point it out?
- What happened the last time you tried?
- What does your garden grow without any help?
- What about with your help?
Rule # 1: Never forget your purpose
Rule # 2: Don’t be conformed by the world
Rule # 3: Seek out people who will tell you the truth
Rule # 4: Your life can only be justified by Jesus Christ
Rule # 5: Live for the Right Thing
Rule # 6: Live Free!
- In light of this week’s sermon, what is new information, challenged, or stood out to you?
Read aloud Galatians 5
- What is at stake here (vv.1-4)?
- What does Paul mean by “yoke of slavery”?
- If rule-keeping doesn’t count for anything (v.2), but dooms one to fail (vv. 3-4), what does count (vv.5-6)?
- Why only faith?
- What is Paul’s tone in verses 7-12?
- Why does this issue move him so strongly?
- In verses 13-15, how does Paul navigate between the danger of legalism on the one side and total license on the other?
- Paul says:
- We are not “under the law” anymore; We are to fulfill it.
- How can both be true at once?
- Hint: What are we free from? What are we free for?
- According to Paul, if you were made alive by the Spirit, how come you still struggle with sin?
- Since we are not under the law, what is wrong with indulging our sinful nature once in awhile?
- If not by rule-keeping, how then do we grow spiritually?
- How do these fruits (vv. 22-23) flesh out what Paul means by “Christ formed in you” (4:19)?
- Illustrate practically what it means to “crucify” the sinful nature and “keep in step” with the Spirit?
- Which spiritual fruit are “blossoming” for you?
- In the bud stage?
- Which sinful acts are “dead and buried”?
- Which are mortally wounded?
- “Alive and well”?
- How can you and the Spirit grow the one and kill the other?