What Would Jesus Say – Week 1
- Other than Jesus, what person (past, present or future) would you like to have the chance to speak to? Why?
Read: Matthew 9:35-38
Pastor Doug highlighted three principles from this passage: Jesus came to teach and heal (spiritually/physically), Jesus had compassion on the harassed, Jesus prayed for harvesters.
We live in a world that is harassed by an enemy, a roaring lion looking for someone to devour (1 Peter 5). This enemy and sin have pushed people into lives mired in spiritual and physical hurt. Romans 8 says that all of creation longs for the day when God will heal the world and reconcile it to himself. But as we wait for that day, we are to seek and save the lost. Christ has commanded us to “Go and make disciples.” This world is imprisoned by sin and death, and Jesus came and sent us to set the captives free. So we are going to pray for the Lord to send out workers into the harvest.
- Pray for something personal (a spiritual/physical hurt, motivation to go, discipline to respond to the Spirit, diligence to maintain faith)
- Pray for something familial (lost family members or friends, for God to use people in that circle to do his will, a seal of protection on their faith)
- Pray for something local (children in the neighborhood school, healthcare workers, local officials, Boise State staff)
- Pray for our nation (officials, beliefs, media)
- Pray for our world (the harvest, the persecuted church)
- Pray His Kingdom come, His will be done
Read Matthew 11:20-30
This passage illustrates the power of unbelief. Regardless of what Christ has done and continues to do, some people will not believe. But Jesus still offers himself; he still offers rest for the weary. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. There is no other way. (John 14:6)
- Do you have the boldness to proclaim Jesus’ words to this world?
- Have you truly internalized that Jesus is the only way?
- How do you need to respond to that truth this week?
- Who in your life needs the rest that Jesus offers?
- Will you commit to praying, encouraging and sharing with that person or people?
- Commit to pray this week for God to send workers into the harvest and pray for obedience to God’s will in your life.