- Share some of your favorite memories of mom.
- Or some of your aspirations as a mother/parent/guardian
Society denigrates motherhood and seeks to deconstruct the nuclear family. Pastor Doug provided several quotes and examples of leading feminists who believe that motherhood is a lesser role in society.
- What are the implications of this belief?
- Do you see this struggle in your lives?
- Why is this belief wrong?
- How can you propitiate the strengthening of nuclear ties?
- What role does your faith play in this propitiation?
- Where do our standards for the family come from?
- Can you articulate some of these standards?
Read: 1 Peter 3:3-5
Pastor Doug highlighted a couple descriptors outlined in this passage: gentle and quiet.
- How does the world view these traits?
- How does the world define gentle and quiet?
Pastor Doug defines gentleness through the conscious use of power. A person who is gentle has the power to do whatever they want in a situation, but they choose to be gentle and kind.
- How is this different from the world’s definition of gentle?
- Why is this important for understanding the role a mother (parent) plays in a child’s life?
- How can you be gentle for the benefit of your relationships?
- Can you think of some situations when Jesus, who had all the power in the world, responded gently?
Pastor Doug used words like “steadfast” and “firm” to describe someone who is quiet. I would add a word like “resolute.” A verse like Psalm 46:10 might help explain the comparisons. “Be silent, and know that I am God…” (NLT). A person who understands who they are, a child of God, can rest and be resolute in their identity. They know who they are and know what is right, regardless of the situation or challenges. They are steadfast, firm and resolute, fully confident in who they are and in God’s provision.
- How are these words different than the world’s definition of quiet?
- Why is this definition important for understanding your role in a relationship?
- How can being quiet help your relationships?
- Can you think of examples when Jesus was quiet, steadfast and firm?
- Commit to being quiet and gentle this week (with discernment, sometimes God calls us to action)
- Pray for God to give you the discernment to know how to respond