- How does the world define true love?
- How do you know if someone actually loves you?
- How does Jesus define true love?
- In light of this week’s sermon, what was new information, challenged, or stood out to you?
Read John 3:1-21
- What point is Jesus making by comparing spiritual birth to the wind?
- How does Jesus account for Nicodemus’ lack of understanding?
- What does Jesus claim about himself in verses 13-15?
- Why does Jesus include “you must be born again” with the phrase “For God so loved the world…”?
Read Numbers 21: 4-9
- What was the role of the snake in the desert?
- How is Jesus serving in a similar role?
- How does he clarify what is needed to be born again?
Read John 3:16-21 again
- What stands out to you about God and what he wants to do?
- What response is required of us?
- How do you think verses 19-20 relate to the time Nicodemus came to Jesus (v.20)?
- According to verse 21, how will belief show itself?
- How is Jesus’ use of the words “born again” similar and different than the way it is used today?
- How would you define what it means to a person who had never heard the phrase?
- What caused you to first consider the claims of Jesus?
- How would you compare your own search for God to those of Nicodemus:
- More intellectual?
- More straightforward?
- Just as real?
- Where are you right now in your understanding of spiritual life?
- What would be your advice for someone who has a lot of questions?
- What will you do this week in response to this sermon and bible reading?