- What are some of the most joyous memories you have of Christmas?
- What is the most unusual birth announcement you have ever received?
- In light of this week’s sermon, what was new information, challenged, or stood out to you?
Read Luke 1: 26-38; 2:10; and Matthew 1:18-25
- What does Gabriel say to Mary?
- How does it compare with what he said to Zechariah (1:13-17)
- How does Mary respond differently than Zechariah?
- How did Mary express her faith?
- What two names did God give to Mary’s Son?
- What does each name mean?
- What do both of these aspects of Jesus’ character mean to you?
- How does Joseph respond to Mary’s pregnancy?
- What comfort and instructions did God give to Joseph?
- How did Joseph demonstrate his faith?
- How is this miracle to take place?
- Why do you think God chose a “virgin birth” to fulfill his plan?
- In what ways would Joseph and Mary’s steps of faith and obedience have been costly?
- How does Elizabeth’s pregnancy encourage Mary?
- Comparing Luke’s account to Matthews, what else do you learn about Jesus?
- About Joseph?
- How has God worked in your life to build your faith and lead you to surrender to His plan?
- When has obeying God been costly for you?
- How has God met your needs and demonstrated His faithfulness?
- What did Jesus do to create joy?
- Why do you think the secularization of Christmas takes away the joy?
- Where do you need to pursue joy in your life?
- What will you do to pursue joy this Christmas season?