- Growing up, when did your family put up the Christmas tree?
- Who decorated it?
- What Christmas traditions do you still keep?
- What do you remember about the manger scene and shepherds?
- In light of this week’s sermon, what was new information, challenged, or stood out to you?
Read Luke 2: 6-20
- Who is visited by an angel?
- Under what circumstances?
- How specific is the message?
- How dies the shepherds’ experience compare to that of Zechariah (1:8) and Mary (1:26)?
- Why were the shepherds terrified?
- Why did the angel say, “do not be afraid?”
- What does all this angelic fanfare say about the importance of Jesus’ birth?
- Consequently, what do the shepherds do?
- After their discovery?
- After their return?
- How does Mary respond to all of this?
- Of all the people the angels could have visited, why do you think God sent them to the shepherds?
- What fears have you had to face and overcome?
- How did you handle it?
- What was the outcome?
- Is there anything about approaching God that scares you? If so, what is it?
- God appeared to Zechariah, to Mary, and now to the shepherds when they were just doing their jobs, being themselves.
- How has God spoken to you recently in the ordinary flow of life?
- How are you experiencing joy this week?